The programs available to help young adults are often as unique as their situation, making the programs a target for misperceptions.
There’s a lot to know about Skyterra Young Adult. To help provide clarity about what our program is, what it does, and who it is for, below are three myths and corresponding truths about the program.
Myth #1: Skyterra Young Adult is a brand new program.
Reality #1: Skyterra Young Adult has been helping young adults for the past five years.
Skyterra Young Adult opened on its new campus in February 2021, but has existed since 2017 as one of a few specialized programs at Skyterra Wellness Retreat.
Young adults frequently accompanied their parents to Skyterra Wellness Retreat, both seeking the tools and mindset to live healthy lives. Over the past five years, our team has compiled everything we’ve learned about the needs of the young adults in creating Skyterra Young Adult.
The more the program grew, the more we realized the need for a separate campus dedicated to the Skyterra program. The new property was purchased in late 2020 and opened in early 2021.
Skyterra Young Adult guests have been well-served by the 12-acre, mountain-top campus, separated from social pressures and distractions. The scenic, remote property features walking trails and several home-like buildings grouped together, including apartments, an outdoor activity hut, a community room, gym space, and main building with a kitchen, dining area, living spaces, bedrooms, sun deck, and balconies with expansive mountain views.
Myth #2: Skyterra Young Adult is not a therapeutic program.
Reality #2: Skyterra Young Adult is an individualized therapeutic program.
Led by two full-time therapists, Skyterra Young Adult uses a clinical model to guide young adults toward a more positive relationship with themselves.
Skyterra Young Adult guests practice prioritizing mental health as they participate in individual and group therapy. Through the therapy sessions, guests experience:
- Goal-setting and accountability
- Communication and conflict resolution skill development
- Increased distress tolerance
- Self-identification of strengths and barriers
- Opportunities to learn and practice emotional regulation strategies
- Increased emotional fluency
- Community resiliency
- Processing past behaviors, thoughts and experiences.
Guests experience personal growth within the structure, routine, and emotional safety of the Skyterra Young Adult wellness community. Constant coaching provides in-the-moment feedback from all Skyterra Young Adult team members. Guests have numerous in-the-moment opportunities to change their natural responses, challenging their maladaptive core beliefs. They also have numerous opportunities to practice new patterns of behavior.
Myth #3: I don’t know a young adult woman who needs a program like Skyterra YA.
Reality #3: Skyterra Young Adult is the ideal program for many young adults.
The Skyterra Young Adult program is effective for a diverse group of young adults and was created for those who are struggling in a variety of ways. While everyone can benefit from Skyterra Young Adult, we see the most growth from guests in the following situations:
- Young adults who need help transitioning to adulthood
- Young adults who need help recovering from a traumatic past, grief or loss, illness, or life change
- Young adults who have difficulty managing their emotions, lack social skills, have relationship issues, or lack direction, purpose, vision, and/or identity
- Young adults who need a bridge back home
- Young adults who have recently completed a wilderness-type program, a primary treatment program, or a long-term treatment program
- Young adults committed to making a change who may not need an intensive intervention
- Young adults who lack the tools to fully launch into independence find success at Skyterra Young Adult. The program is set up to teach them the skills needed for meaningful adulthood.
For young adult adults who have recently completed a wilderness-type program, a primary treatment program, or a long-term treatment program, a stay at Skyterra Young Adult serves as a bridge to returning home. An Skyterra Young Adult stay is also an opportunity for young adults to learn important life skills like changing a car tire, cooking nutritious meals, budgeting and finances, time management, goal-setting, boundaries, grocery shopping and meal planning.
Skyterra Young Adult is a life-changing alternative to mainstream treatment for so many young adults who struggle with depression, anxiety, disordered eating, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), bipolar disorder, and other social, emotional, or behavioral challenges.
Young adults who need help recovering from a traumatic past, grief or loss, illness, or life change can turn to Skyterra Young Adult for help. If they have difficulty managing their emotions, lack social skills, have relationship issues, or lack direction, purpose, vision, and/or identity, Skyterra Young Adult will help.
Any young adult woman who needs help building awareness, confidence, self-worth and clarity, or cultivating resilience, managing stress, and preparing to take on all of life’s responsibilities needs Skyterra Young Adult.
For more information about Skyterra YA, click here.